The Initiative Foundation oversees the recruitment, placement and supervision of Central Minnesota AmeriCorps VISTA members.
Since 2002, the Initiative Foundation has been an AmeriCorps VISTA sponsoring organization that oversees the recruitment, placement, training and supervision of VISTA members serving at host sites across Central Minnesota.
AmeriCorps VISTA, founded as Volunteers in Service to America, is a national service program whose members work full-time for a year to create and strengthen services and programs that help alleviate and eliminate poverty. Host sites interview and select their own VISTA candidates from a pool of local and national applicants.
Organizations that host VISTA members support the program through a graduated cost-sharing contribution each year of their VISTA project.
Initiative Foundation AmeriCorps VISTA members receive benefits of a value totaling more than $30,000 including:
- Living Allowance: $990/mo.; annualized at $11,880.
- Healthcare Allowance: Up to $6,850 to reimburse out-of-pocket healthcare expenses such as annual deductibles, coinsurance, co-payments and other qualified medical expenses.
- Upon successful completion of year of service, members can choose between a Segal Education award of $5,775 or $1,500 end-of-service cash award.
- Training: Monthly leadership and professional development trainings facilitated by the sponsoring organization. Trainers include sector leaders, consultants and others.
- Mentorship: Through one-to-one relationships with Initiative Foundation professionals, members gain individual support for their host site projects, career planning and other areas aligned with their individual goals.
- Social and networking opportunities: Connect with peers and grow professional network across many sectors in Central Minnesota and beyond.
- Memorable service experience: Develop new skills, advance your network, gain valuable experience and make a difference in the lives of those who need it most.
- Relocation Assistance: Members that relocate more than 50 miles from their home of record to their host site are eligible for Relocation Travel Allowance including mileage and shipping and a Settling-in Allowance of $550.
Initiative Foundation VISTA members since 2002 have contributed in a variety of ways, including:
- Raising more than $2.5 million in cash resources.
- Securing more than $1.4 million in in-kind resources.
- Helping host sites manage more than 40,000 volunteers who provided in excess of 350,000 hours of community service.
For more information on being a VISTA host site or projects currently seeking members and to apply, visit ifoundvista.org.
For questions, contact Amanda Whittemore, AmeriCorps VISTA program specialist, at email@example.com or by calling (320) 631-2009.
VISTA Program Specialist