Foundation Drives Nearly $383,000 in Fourth Quarter Grants
April 19, 2021
Nearly 110 Grants Go to Nonprofits and Community Groups; Millions More in Relief Funding Distributed to Central Minnesota Small Businesses
Central Minnesota Relief & Recovery Fund Awards
- Organizations in Long Prairie, Brainerd, Walker and Cold Spring—Gift Card Project for Local Restaurants: $23,000
- Stearns County Human Services—Latinx Community Outreach: $5,000
- Leech Lake Financial Services—Technical Assistance for Businesses: $5,000
Innovation Fund Awards
- Sherburne County—Clean Transportation Electric Car Project: $4,000 to explore opportunities to partner with the Minnesota Department of Transportation's programs to support clean transportation options. This grant is funded in part by the McKnight Foundation's Climate Change program, in recognition of the economic impact of the pending decommissioning of the Sherburne County coal generation facility in Becker.
- Brainerd Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce Education Association—Virtual Career Exploration Experience: $7,500 to launch a virtual career exploration experience for area high school students. This new, interactive website would showcase local industries and careers through online activities and simulations, videos and 360-degree clickable photos. All relevant local career information will be available in a free, secure setting.
Partner Fund Awards
The Initiative Foundation hosts a variety of Partner Funds for families, businesses, nonprofit organizations and volunteer-led groups. The following grants were among those made by our Partner Funds during the months of October, November and December 2020:
- Staples-Motley Area Community Foundation: $2,500 for a holiday food basket program at Central Lakes College.
- Black Oak Getty Community Foundation: $15,000 for outdoor skating rink upgrades in Sauk Centre.
- Braham Area Education Foundation: $3,449 for various classroom updates at Braham Area schools.
Partner Fund Relief & Recovery Fund Awards
- Delano Community Foundation: $1,000 to Delano Old-Fashioned Christmas for a COVID-19 wish tree.
- Three Rivers Community Foundation Emergency Relief Fund: $2,000 to Community Aid of Elk River for a relief grant.
- Hackensack-Backus Relief Fund: $1,000 to Paws & Claws Animal Shelter for a relief grant.